What is Blue Monday?
Blue Monday, typically the third Monday of January, has been suggested as the most depressing day of the year, according to Cliff Arnall, former tutor at the Centre for Lifelong Learning.
If you’re looking for some motivation to kick start the year, why not try some our top tips below…
- Pick up a new hobby with our courses and classes
- Try some mood boosting books
- Take a look at Books on Perscription, a list of GP recommended titles available at your library
- Did you know that volunteering can reduce stress? Luckily we have opportunities to suit everyone!
- Exercise releases endorphins, which improve your mood, get your pulse racing with one of our fitness classes or courses
- Mindfulness supports creativity and resilience, and we’ve got courses running in lots of our libraries
- Reading stimulates your mind, improves your memory and your concentration. Choose yourself a new read for 2017.
Depression is a daily struggle, and we know that those feelings aren’t dictated by the date, if you need help with mental illness, you can find advice and information on the Mind website.